Other Sisters

Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not Japan Part 2


• The other day I got a great art set from my friend Vicki (thanks again Vicki!!!!). We went together to the Andy Warhol exhibit and she brought the art set with her. It has oil pants, pastels, colored pencils, acrylics, and water colors. I can’t wait to get started on my first art project!
I can’t say I was all that inspired by the Andy Warhol exhibit, but I can see how his work has influenced pop art still being made today by other artists. I am glad that I did get to see his work in person; I had only seen photos of it in art class, oh, and in the movie Basquiat.
• I was watching that crazy Korean animal show on TV again. This time there was a man and his horse and they were sharing carrots and bowls of macoli (rice wine). Reminds me of the time Melissa was trying to give Tokey Pokey macoli, which for some strange reason he decided to drink it. It also showed a rabbit in a cute knitted sweater. Looks like I might have a new knitting project!!! Somehow I think Tokey Pokey would eat the sweater before I could even get the thing on him.
• The other day was my 10 year anniversary. This means I have been cancer free for 10 years. My friend Sai, from the Craigslist hiking club, and I went to a beautiful Buddhist temple and then to a German brewery to celebrate. It was a great day, and the best part was that there was not a crappy Korean beer in sight! No Cass or Hite at this place. The bar was called Octoberfest and they made good Wit beer served with lemon, instead of orange, but I can hardly demand perfection, I was just so happy it wasn’t Korean crap beer!
I also had some special anniversary celebrations with my girls from work. At lunch time, my friend Jae and I went for seafood rice soup and then out for tea and shared a cupcake. She had bought a chocolaty, fudgy, yummy cupcake from Paris Baguette and put large 1 and 0 candles in it for me. I got to blow out the candles and wish for another 10 years cancer free. It was so sweet of her!
My friend Hye Jung also gave me a little box of 4 different flavored cupcakes to celebrate the occasion. I was able to cut the cupcakes into 4 pieces each so that everyone who went out to dinner with me that night could have one piece of each. Sunny, Dasom, Hui Kyung, and I went out for Thai food that night after work and shared the cupcakes.
At first I was really upset that I couldn’t spend my anniversary with my family and friends from home, but my new friends here really made my anniversary special. And getting all that facebook love from my friends back home also helped me get over the fact that I am far from home and had do drop the plans I had once made for this momentous occasion.
• Now for some strange and gross stories… Vicki and I went out for lunch after we went to the Andy Warhol exhibit and we ordered a pizza to share. When they served the pizza they also gave us a bowl of what looked like apple sauce. Now, I have had honey in a bowl as a side for dipping the pizza but not apple sauce. But I thought, well, if they serve honey with pizza, why not apple sauce? Alas, as I should have known, things never taste like what I expect them to. It wasn’t apple sauce at all. Any guesses? Answer: pineapple. It had the right consistency and color of apple sauce but no, it was defiantly pineapple.
• Warning, this next story is once again about girls pooping. The other day at work I found myself in the middle of a girl-poop-sandwich!!! Let me explain that one. There are three toilets in the ladies room at work, and only the middle stall was open. Turns out that the girls in both the occupied stalls were taking their poop breaks. Hence how I came to be in the middle of a girl-poop-sandwich. One girl was flipping news paper pages, and the other one was using the bidet to wash her butt off so I was certain they were on their poop breaks. I don’t think I will ever get used to this!!!!

6 comments:

  1. It's a good thing Americans never poop. Not I. And if I did (and I never have) I would be as covert about it as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have Paris Baguettes in CA! Ray told me his friend went to this geat place...blah, blah, blah and when he said the name I got excited. It's no Tom Toms but still good.

    Ha Ha girl-poop-sandwich! I know you started tp brush your teeth after lunch with the other girls, will you also start pooping with the other girls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "girl-poop-sandwich"? *blergh*
    Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are just some things I draw the line at. No, I will never poop if someone else is around me. Ok, maybe I will use the bidet, but thats it! And I certainly wont use it in the presence of others!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! I love that you had cupcakes. Miss you back in Cali.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 10 Year Anniversary! What a wonderful milestone to celebrate and may you celebrate it 100 more times! PS: I thought only my boys talked about poop!

    ReplyDelete