Other Sisters

Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Random Korean-isms


* Ok, this post will be a hodgepodge of different little comments that I’ve been meaning to share with everyone. My first short story reveals the mystery of “Girl Poops.” So, if that’s kinda gross and you don’t want to hear about it, then just got right ahead on to the next * story. So, when I moved offices, Chin informed me that I no longer get to take my 2:30pm skype break to talk to my family. While I was working in close proximity to her, she had been holding me to U.S. law. So, I used to get a 10 minute break for every 4 hours I worked. Well, she said because I was moving into an area where there are other employees, I need to follow Korean law. Korean law apparently states, “work hard, work hard, work hard.” They are not given 10 minute breaks; in fact, Koreans are not supposed to take breaks at all! And now I too am not allowed to take breaks!
So, what’s the secret; how is it possible to work all day continuously without taking a break you may ask. Well, you can’t. And I don’t say this because you’re most likely not Korean; I say this because Koreans do take breaks. Hence the mystery of the ‘girl poop’ is revealed to me at last!
As a girl, before coming to Korea, I could never imagine a culture where girls sit on the toilet and read news papers, use the bidet, or talk on their cell phones while pooping in a public place. Now that I know Koreans are not allowed to take 10 minute breaks every 4 hours like I used to be allowed, I understand why girls take poop breaks at work. Though I still don’t think I will ever be able to do that.
* Lucas and I were wondering why, when we were in Japan, we saw so many girls walking with their feet turned in. I told him that girls in Korea do it too. I theorized that maybe walking that way made your butt look smaller. Because it’s not a genetic deformity, they choose to walk this way. I saw girls who would climb stairs with their feet faced forward like normal, and as soon as they are on level ground again they turn their feet back in. So I knew it was by choice, but I didn’t know why they chose to do this.
Turns out, Japanese Geishas walk this way. So, to be a more like a subservient, meek, geisha-esk girl, they walk with their feet turned in. Geishas do it to take smaller steps so that look dainty. Asides from looking retarded, I think some Korea girls do it took look like they need assistance. Maybe it will get the guy they are with to hold on to their arm and steady them as they walk like a duck in 4 inch heels. Who knows! That’s one girl mystery here I’m still working on understanding.
* Another interesting Korean-ism I learned about while living here is the importance of titles. There are some Korean-isms I’m not going to do, and one of them is always calling people by formal titles. Apparently, because I’m younger than Chin, I’m not supposed to call her by her name. I’m supposed to call her ‘sajanim.’ When I refer to her to other Koreans, I will use this title; only because it makes them visibly uncomfortable if I don’t, but when I am talking to her or emailing her, I use her name.
The other day, my two friends Dasom and Hui Kyung were told not to call each other by name because Hui Kyung is a year older then Dasom, so it’s unprofessional. HA! These girls went to grad school together, are good friends outside of work, and sit next to each other at the office, and they are not allowed to be on a first name bases with each other?!?!!? WOW!
Actually, it was even more Korean then that! They weren’t told directly not to call each other by their first names. No, nothing is ever told directly to someone. The order was given in a round about way by means of a suggestion. Like, “wouldn’t it be more professional if you called her [insert Korean title] instead, since she is a year older?” Hahahah! So Korean!
* One last little bit of random Korean facts for you. That awful T.V. show “Medium,” well, they actually show it on T.V. here too. But they don’t call it ‘Medium,’ they call it “Ghost and Crime.” I think it is because they don’t make a size medium here. They only make small and extra small, so they don’t have a word for it. Ha! Just kidding, I know medium is a homophone. Who knows why they didn’t just replace it with a word for that has a similar meaning to a medium, I guess they don’t have that type of person in their culture. Although they do have fortune tellers, and palm readers, so I would assume they would also have people who claim to take to ghosts.

3 comments:

  1. Baby, I love you... But please no more stories about poop.
    L-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poop breaks is the only break you get. So sad.


    They walk with their feet turned in?! How strange! I would've never noticed. You're so observant!

    BTW, korean ghost stories are super spooky. You should ask your friends to tell you some.

    ReplyDelete