Other Sisters

Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pink Martini


• So Lucas’ birthday is coming up so I wanted to get him some tickets to see a concert he likes and have them mailed to our house to surprise him. I was looking on-line at a bunch of different bands he likes, but no one was touring in California any time soon. I did however find that Pink Martini was going to be in Seoul for the first time ever! And it was in 3 days!!! I couldn’t believe how lucky I was! If I had waited just a few days to do my concert search I would have missed them! So, I told some of the girls from my work and we were able to buy tickets!!! At first I had a really hard time justifying paying 100$ for a ticket to go see them, but since I didn’t celebrate Christmas, I figured this could be my Christmas present to myself. Every once it a while it as to be ok to treat myself.
The same day we bough out tickets, one of the girls found someone selling two tickets for 60$ each. We were lucky again, we were able to refund two of the tickets we already bought and saved 80 bucks without having to pay a cancelation fee. This sure made me feel better about buying the tickets in the first place! Then, when we showed up to get the tickets from the guy, he said he would give us another 10$ discount if we took his id to the ticket box and retrieved the tickets instead of him doing it, I guess he had already retrieved tickets that day and didn’t want to be recognized.
The concert was standing room only, which was a little strange, but it allowed for me to be 3 people away from the stage!!! I could see up the trombone player’s nose! I know that sounds kind of disgusting, but I’m just trying to prove how close I was to the musicians. Last time I saw them was at the Hollywood bowl and I had thousands of people in front of me. And to see the musicians I had to watch them on a big screen TV. Here, all I had to do was wear high heels to get a clear view of the musicians.
The concert was amazing; China Forbes has an incredible voice! And my friends even recognized one of the songs they played. Apparently, it was used for a laundry detergent commercial on Korean television. After the concert was over, the musicians stuck around to sign autographs!!! I got to meet all of them!!!! It was so great! I also had them sign a poster that I took down from the lobby. I know it could be considered stealing, but as soon as I took one other people took them too, and in a matter of minutes the walls were striped clean of posters. I’m such a bad influence, but Pink Martini said be creative with what we were to have them autograph, from arms to t-shirts, so I decided a poster from the lobby was rather creative. Anyways, here is a link to more info about the band in case you have no idea who they are…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Martini

3 comments:

  1. I love your creativity! so awesome.
    I'm glad you treated yourself to a crazy concert too! <3
    what was the poster OF, btw? anything to do with pink martini? or just a poster about the venue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be so hilarious! Hi Pink Martini, mind signing this poster of a Korean boy band? No, it actually was a poster promoting their concert. Its cool because it says that it is there first show in Korea, and it was for White Day, which is like another valentines day here. Its actually a holiday invented by a candy company so they could sell all the valentines candy that didn't sell the month previously. So on valentines day girls buy candy for the guys, and on white day the guys buy candy for the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally listen to the Pink Martini CD you burned me which I LOVE!! I'm so happy you got to see them!

    ReplyDelete