Other Sisters

Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve


* So this is the first time in my life that I have ever had to work on x-mass eve. Now I know what its like for my mom every year. Though I'm sure working in an office on x-mass eve might be a little different from working at the airport on x-mass eve, I'm sure there is a comparison there somewhere. I made x-mass cards for 6 of my closest friends at work last night, and walked around the office handing out those cards and sharing the maple cookies from my care package. Everyone really liked them; I liked them too. I was happy I had something x-massy to handout since I have no oven and couldn't make cookies from scratch. Later in the afternoon the gifts I ordered on-line yesterday actually arrived! I told everyone that they would have to wait to get their gifts next week, but even though I ordered it the day before I got it next day without extra shipping charges, amazing! I got Chin, Bonyun, Hye Jung, and Sunny each one of those purse hangers that Allie and I got in Japan town L.A. Everyone was really jealous of the one I had so I thought it would be a perfect gift for all the girls.
* On Saturday Bonyun and I went to Lotte World. We just went to the market to do some shopping and dinning. I bought a jacket that was last years model so it was marked down from 190,000 won to 30,000 won! A total steal! That store is ridiculous! Everything is entirely over priced, well, except the jacket I found. That was a rare find! I took a picture of the bag they put my coat in. It shows the Lotte word castle and the raccoon version of Micky and Minnie Mouse. Look really closely at the ear, thats the only way to tell its not Disney.
*In the window of one of the Lotte shops they sold robot dogs and cats that looked so life like I couldn't believe it! The shop was closed for the night so the pets were curled up in the beds and their sides actually rose and fell like they were breathing. They actually looked like read dogs and cats sleeping! Freakiest things ever!!!
* Lucas, Mike got an iphone and an egg. He says the egg only last 4 hours before you need to plug it in to charge. He also says it works great as a hand warmer, it heats up when ever its on.
* Yesterday Hye Jung and I went to what is in all likelihood the only vegetarian shop in all of Seoul. All I can say is I totally stocked up! I bought smeat balls, furkey, soy dogs, and fakin nuggets. I think I might need to buy myself a toaster oven so I can make some of these food though. Its a case of my eyes being bigger than my kitchen. I was just so excited about having access to these foods, I didn't think about how I was going to cook them. I also didn't consider my freezer size, I barely got everything in it and the door closed. And the last thing I forgot to consider was that Hye Jung drove me out to the shop, but I needed to take the subway home carrying a big bag of frozen foods. I made it just fine, I just think it is funny that I didn't consider any of these things when I was buying my veggie treats!
* I've been learning Korean. They do not have the letters 'R', 'Z', 'F', or 'V' in their alphabet. So for example the word 'coffee' is pronounced 'copy', they simply replace the letter 'F' with something similar like the letter 'P'. Well, I was listening to the song Jingle Bell Rock being played at a store I was shopping at and noticed that the letter changes needed to sing this song happened to change the meaning of it. "Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell lock.... in the crusty air."

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you have a vegetarian store... I won't have to worry that you're living off of just rice and fish cakes. ah! fish burps!!!

    ...crusty air... :)

    ReplyDelete