Other Sisters

Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A mystery Sherlock Holmes could not solve


* So I was really excited that Vicki, one of the foreign teachers at the Y'z League hagwon, invited me to go see Sherlock Holmes with her this past weekend. It was to a new part of town I had never been to before so I was a little nervous but one bus ride and subway ride later I made it, and even with 10 mins to spare. I realized that once I got above ground from the subway, I had no clue where the actual theater was. I guess I just figured it would be obvious.
After scanning the skyscrapers for a while I finally settled on the skyscraper with the big tv screen on it. My powers of deduction were accurate, and after going back underground through the subway tunnels I re-emerged on the correct side of the street in front of the building that I hoped was a theater. Its not like a huge Edwards Cinema or Howard Huges center, it really was an unsuspecting skyscraper that at the base of it had a list of what seems like movie titles posted to a little plaque. The plaque was similar to what a restaurant would put out front to display its menu to passing potential customers. Now, I've been studying Korean for a few weeks and have a good handle on sounding out the characters, so I was able to read the list on the plaque and recognize names like "Abata" (Avatar) and "syol log home ja" (Sherlock Holmes) and figured this must be the right place! Only problem was the theater number followed the name of the movie and I don't know my numbers yet.
I began to walk around the lobby for further clues as to where I should go to meet Vicki for the movie. As I wondered around I realized there were two different entrances so me standing in front of one of them waiting for her wasn't going to do me any good. So I began my assent into the skyscraper by getting on the escalator. I passed many interesting places, restaurants, advertising agencies, optometry centers, but nothing that resembled a theater until I reached the 8th floor. By this time I was 10 mins late to meet Vicki and even though I had managed to find the ticket counter for the movie, I was unable to find Vicki who had already purchased my ticket for me. (This is why it is too cruel not to let foreigners have cell phones! I'm seriously considering renting one from the airport after this experience!)
Fortunately, on this floor they used the numeric symbol next to the movie titles so I learned that "syol log home ja" was on the 9th floor. I guess because the theater is in a skyscraper each floor of the theater section of the buliding features a different movie. Unfortunately, that is where my luck ran out. I made it to the 9th floor only to discover that the movie was playing in 4 different rooms and I had no clue which one Vicki was in! Additionally, theaters differ here because each ticket is assigned seating. So even though I popped my head into one of the rooms and looked around, the usher would not let me get past him without my ticket in hand. Though he did seem more than willing to just allow me to stand there in the isle and watch the movie as long as I didn't attempt to sit down.
I was deflated. I had found the right bus and subway to get there on time, had managed to locate the correct building even though I didn't know what I was looking for, and even found what floor the movie was playing, just to have to turn around and go home. Argh! I felt so stupid! Not only was I embarrassed about not finding the correct movie room, but I felt terrible that Vicki had wasted money on a ticket for me. And anyone who knows me, knows I hate wasting money; it causes me a lot of anxiety.
After I had gotten back home (after taking my time with some retail therapy, I even found a bookstore that carries a few English titles) I talked with Vicki on Skype. I explained to her what happened and she just laughed at me. She said it was alright, and she is giving me another chance to meet her for a movie this coming Saturday. Unfortunately, she has picked a different theater in a different part of town from the one I just mastered. She says she chose it because it will be closer for me, but really I think she just wants to torture me. I told her I would pay her back for the ticket I didn't get to use, but she still insists on making me try to figure out yet another theater. Wish me better luck this weekend when I go see Abata (there are no 'v' 'r' 'f' or 'z' equivalents in the Korean language so they have to be creative sometimes.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you for getting lost and going on adventures on your own! and sounding things out... syol log home ja...
    miss youuuuu.... <3 <3 happy new yearrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete