Other Sisters

Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas

Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Years Weekend


* I came into work Wednesday and Chin told me, "Oh by the way, you don't need to come in to work tomorrow." Apparently, they decided that everyone who is on a one year contract could have New Years eve off. I only wish they would have told me a little sooner that I had a 4 day weekend, I would have scheduled a trip somewhere. Maybe spent new years in Taiwan or Tokyo. Oh well, I was just glad to have an extra day to sleep in.
* On new years eve I slept till noon and then once again attempted to meet Vicki to see the Sherlock Holmes movie. We messaged back and forth on the "Words with Friends" app and I left one final message on the game saying I would be at the Gangnam theater before 1:50. I left my house, which is the only place I can access wifi and the "Words with Friends" app, with an hour to get to the theater. Once again I took the bus, and then the sub way train to make it to the theater at exactly 1:50 when the movie was suppose to be starting. I got into the lobby and all of the elevators where arriving full. They were picking up people in the basement parking levels and when they got to the lobby they were at their weight limit. So, knowing that the movie was already starting I jogged 11 flights of stairs to get to the floor showing the movie. Only problem was that Sherlock Holmes was not playing at that theater at 1:50, I was in the wrong theater. And even worse, Vicki didn't check the game one more time before leaving her house so she didn't even know I was at the wrong theater. So once again I stood her up, and wasted her time and money. I was so over the whole situation! I was like Peter in Family Guy, I raised up both hands, announced 'done!' and walked away. I came back home, got Vicki's message on Skype asking where the hell I was and I messaged her back saying that I won't attempt to hang out with her again until I get myself a cell phone. She offered to help me get a phone, lord only knows why she was still willing to be my friend, if I met her the next day in Itaewon. I told her that if I can't find her there that I was going home, and not my apartment home, but California home!
* Well, since moping about my uncanny ability to miss the movie Sherlock Holmes wouldn't help me any, I decided to get a hair cut. I have passed this hair salon everyday on my way to and from work and decided that I would give it a go. So far, he is the only male hair dresser I've seen in my neighborhood, and since my hairdresser back home was a Vietnamese guy I thought I would give him a try. I brought him a picture of Victoria Beckham and said "Ee got" which means this. He bowed his head and said 'nee' which is yes and pointed to the couch for me to sit and wait my turn. The lady ahead of me was getting a simple trim so I didn't have to wait too long. I watched him sprits her hair with a water bottle and then comb it and trim it. Then he blow dried it and sent her on her way. When it was my turn however he wanted to wash my hair because I already had product in it. I though, oh here we go with the add on's, he is trying to do everything extra to charge me more because I'm a foreigner. Then he cut my hair and spent like 20 mins with the flat iron so it was just perfect for my big new years eve night out. When he was done he asked for "10,000 Korean." I didn't think I understood him correctly. I thought maybe he meant 100,000 won but didn't know how to say it in English correctly. So I asked him to show me on a calculator how much he wanted. Sure enough, once again it was 10,000. I opened my wallet and pulled out a 10,000 bill and asked him if it was correct, he said 'nee' and thanked me. I was floored! Getting my hair washed, cut, and styled cost only 10 U.S. dollar! Plus, they don't tip here, its rude, or charge tax if you pay in cash, so I felt like I was totally ripping him off! Ten dollars!!!! Unbelievable!
* So my new years eve consisted of going to Chin's house for a luxurious quesadillas and champagne dinner. Cheese is rarely served here so having a cheese tortilla was an extra special treat for me. Another lady came by from work and she brought Korean pancakes. I really love Korean pancakes, they have squash and green onions inside and you dip them in soy sauce.... mmmmmm! It was a simple dinner but the rarity of the cheese and tortillas made it really special. I was home before midnight so that I could get my New Years kiss from Tokey Pokey and watch them hit the Korean Bell. Here they don't do a ball drop at midnight, they shoot off fireworks and hit a giant sized bell to ring in the new year.
* On New Years day I met up with Vicki in Itaewon. She helped me get a cell phone, finally! It cost 40$ and its pay as you go. Now I can call for help if I am lost. She also took me to the English book store called "What the book?" I got 4 new books to read. We also went to the black market grocery store. This store sells smuggled goods off the U.S. army base. They had soooo much great stuff that I cant find anywhere else in Korea. The store is unfortunately really small, and really cramped with foreigners. Its run by an Indian family so they also have a lot of great Indian foods. I got some chick peas to try to make my own hummus (although I realize too late that I don't own a food processor so who knows how I will grind the beans up). Anyways, the other great treat when in Itaewon was the bar Geckos. Its really popular with foreigners, in fact, this is the bar Melissa and I visited when we were in Korea last January. They have added a new dish to their menu much to my joy! Veggie burgers!!!!! I was soooooo happy to have a veggie burger and fries for the first time in 3 months! Vicki is a vegetarian too so I treated her to dinner and drinks to make up for all of the Sherlock Holmes shenanigans (we tried to see Shelock Holmes again on Saturday but it was sold out, Im destined not to see this film!).
* When we were at 'What the Book?' I saw a flyer for a girls running group. Actually, they call themselves a drinking club with a running problem. They all go running/jogging/walking together and then go for drinks afterwards. My kind of girls! I emailed them to get more info about their next meeting, I can't wait! I am also thinking about joining a knitting club. Its called 'Stitch and Bitch.' Bella taught me how to knit a few years ago so I hope I can remember how to do it. Seems like a good way for me to make friends.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Renee, how I miss you. I'm so glad that I read this blog. I'll be scrolling up and down to comment.

    The cool thing about living in Korea is to be able to just hop on a plane and be in like..Taiwan! I love that. I should've been more spontaneous while visiting over there. Make every moment as memorable as you can make it. Don't leave anywhere without your camera!

    The whole Sherlock Holmes thing would've made me so pissed!!!! One thing I do remember liking about Korea was their assigned seating in the movie theaters. Don't ask me why I like it so much, but I think about it often. I don't remember the film I saw when I was there. I do remember the different flavored popcorn you could buy! Yum!

    Mmmm to quesadillas and korean pancakes! I love korean pancakes. Have you eat bap bing soo yet? My favorite korean dessert? That's one thing I loved about korea - visiting all their trendy little cafes and yummy dessert eateries.

    I have the book Stitch and Bitch! I hope you joined the club. Also, I'm so happy that you're going to join the running club. I need to find a pregnant and want to work out women's club around here. I'm getting chubby.

    Miss miss miss you and will promise to visit your blog and leave comments. Visit mine too.

    www.lycheelori.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody seems to like Apples to Apples as much as me. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherlock Holmes was a pretty good flick. Did you ever get to see it?

    So for short do you call that bookstore WTB?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Sherlock Holmes a few days ago... meh.
    You're better off with Avatar or Up in the Air.

    In other news, I love you and miss you and I LOVE this photo.

    :) Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes we do call it WTB and nope, still have not seen Sherlock Holmes! I am cursed when it comes to seeing that movie. Something is trying to prevent me from wasting my money?

    ReplyDelete