Other Sisters

Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 4


• Ah Korean TV. I’m watching “Real World” zoo edition I believe. Its footage of a baby tiger, desert tortoise, baby pig, and a puppy all living together in a house. Right now the pig is attacking the tiger, and the puppy wakes up and joins in while the tortoise sits and watches the mayhem. They are playing the dramatic music from platoon in the background so you know it is a serious fight. Oh crap! The tortoise just bit the tiger’s tail. Why did someone think it was a good idea to give these animals a house to live together in?
• Today at the Korean version of Target, known as E Mart, I found they sell guinea pigs and bunnies!!! I hope they were pets and not dinner.
• So I may be missing project runway but I just found “Tim Gunn’s guide to style” on TV. At least I can get my Tim Gunn fix.
• I was walking down the street and saw what I thought were sea cucumbers without spikes. Turns out it is a creature the Koreans call “dog penis.”
• I was walking near work and there was a man trimming trees. I asked Chin what kind of tree it was but she didn’t know. The man trimming the tree noticed that I was looking in his direction and beckoned me to come over. He showed me that I could get the fruit off the tree. Turns out they are crab apples the size of cherries. He left a bunch of branches in the office lobby for me to take home. Now I have like 5lbs of them!
• I learned today that seat belts in the back seats of cars here are optional. That is after I saw a father simply open the back door of the car for his 2 year old son and then drove off. Apparently car seats for babies are optional too. Yikes!!!!

1 comment:

  1. When I was little and I lived in Colorado I think we had those trees. The fruit looked like cherries but they were crunchy and very tart. I just remember that it was the word on the street that you could chew them and then spit them out. "You weren't supposed to swallow them" was the advice passed down from generations of 5 year olds. Very similar to the sour clover bit.

    ReplyDelete