Other Sisters

Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas

Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 31


• I got a bank account today! Yea! Now when the company direct deposits my paychecks it will actually go to my bank account. Last month I got an email saying that they deposited my paycheck into my bank account and it took me two weeks to figure out where the money went and to get it in cash instead.
• I am getting much better at reading Korean. I practice when ever I take the subway. When you ride the subway train a screen shows you the next stop written in Korean, and then it will show the name in English. So I sound it out in Korean and see if I’m on the right track when it shows it written in English. Then it will announce the station in Korean so if the train is not too crowded then I can hear how it is pronounced too.
• Tonight after work I went to Hye Jeung’s house for dinner. It was so nice! Her mom is a Seventh Day Advantest and because of this she is a vegetarian. Her mom went to a vegetarian shop near her house and bought me fake ham and stakes so Hye Jeung would have some food to offer me. Hye Jeung and I cooked dinner together, I made the bean curds stuffed with purple rice and she made the fried crab/radish/fake ham kabobs. I call the rice purple because that is what it looks like to me but she says it’s called black rice because they add black beans to it.
• Today was the first snow of the season. I said that it was cold enough for me and that I don’t want it to get any colder. The girls told me not a chance, when it becomes winter it will be -20 at least!
• Hye Jeung told me that Koreans drink coffee after every meal. Unlike me, they don’t drink it first thing in the morning before breakfast. That means coffee shops don’t open till 8 or 9 am!

1 comment:

  1. no coffee in the morning?! I wouldn't know what to do. I've become addicted.
    I'm glad you have a bank account now :)
    -20?! really? that's awful! snow in heels sounds like a terrible idea...

    ReplyDelete