Other Sisters

Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas

Friday, November 27, 2009

Day 37


• Thank you Mike for coming to work with me! Today he helped me figure out how to send money to my bank account back home. I needed to open up a remittance account and he knew a bank specifically for foreigners. He got the English speaking help line phone number for me so I could ask someone what information I needed to present when I went to the bank to open this type of account. I went to the bank by myself with a print screen page from their bank website and my list of needed information according to the help line and said ‘e go’ which means ‘this.’ It’s the greatest word ever! I just point and say ‘e go’ and people can understand what I want. Sure enough, I got my remittance account despite my bank tellers limited English.
• Today was Thanksgiving! Hooray! We got a full Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, ham, dinner rolls, stuffing, mashed potatoes, succotash, gravy, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. I brought corn, black pepper, and butter too. There were about 20 people there and everyone needed instructions on what the food was and how to eat it. I showed people that we cut the rolls in half and put butter on them. And that they can put gravy or cranberry sauce on their turkey. Also, we put black pepper on the mashed potatoes or gravy on that too. I really enjoyed sharing this meal with all of my friends from work. And don’t worry, I staged that photo of the pumpkin pie, we used forks hahahah!

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great thanksgiving...definately in the spirit of it. =) It was like, the english sharing with the native americans but instead, the Renee sharing with the Koreans. SO COOl. =D
    If they eat everything with chopsticks...how is jello consumed? do they even HAVE jello?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they do have jello and they are so skilled at using chopsticks that they can get tofu or jello without dropping it. I am not that tallented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so adorable.
    I love that you showed them how to eat biscuits. and that cranberry sauce goes on... well, everything. hahaha
    <3
    I was eating pineapple earlier... thought of you and this post. :)

    ReplyDelete